Thank you for your interest in working for United Way of East Central Iowa.
At United Way of East Central Iowa, our mission is to “Unite the caring power of communities to invest in effective solutions to improve people’s lives.” Employees in our organization work with donors, volunteers, directors, corporate partners and other non-profit organizations to bring our mission to life.
United Way of East Central Iowa is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religious beliefs, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local fair employment practice laws.
Two Open Positions- Youth Achievement AmeriCorps Program
The Youth Achievement AmeriCorps program is a team of 15 hardworking and dedicated AmeriCorps members who serve in schools, enrichment programs and early literacy programs to help close the achievement gap in the Cedar Rapids Community. Members serve 1700 hours (approximately 35-40 hours a week) at their respective sites over the course of a year. These are full-time AmeriCorps Positions. (November 2014- November 2015)
- Early Literacy Assistant Position Available with Youth Achievement AmeriCorps Program (Cedar Rapids, IA)We have one open position left and are looking for a qualified individual who would like to empower families and give back to the Cedar Rapids community through their service in a program called RED Ahead! RED Ahead assists parents and children by offering free early literacy instruction sessions for parents, distributing books and learning materials and increasing community outreach about early language development. To read more about the position and apply click here!
- Elementary Tutor Position Available with Youth Achievement AmeriCorps Program (Cedar Rapids, IA) We have one open position left and are looking for a qualified individual to tutor students at a local Cedar Rapids School. To read more about the position and apply click here!
AmeriCorps Benefits include:
$5,645 education award to go towards loans or tuition at the end of successfully completing your AmeriCorps term
$12,100 annual living stipend (pre-tax)
Eligible for deferred federal loan payments
Free health care coverage.
18 years of age
GED/High School Diploma
College degree preferred but not required
Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
If you have any questions please contact Kelli Holubeck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full-time United Way of East Central Iowa positions currently available.
There are none available at this time.
Seasonal United Way of East Central Iowa positions currently available.
VITA Program Coordinator
United Way of Central Iowa is seeking a Program Coordinator (seasonal, contracted status) to plan and implement the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The VITA program offers free tax preparation to low- to moderate-income individuals. The program is coordinated through a partnership between ISED Ventures and United Way of East Central Iowa. Three VITA sites will be set up throughout greater Cedar Rapids. All tax returns are prepared for free by certified volunteer tax preparers. Each site is supervised by certified site coordinators and visited by IRS personnel.
Planning and implementing the VITA Program will include the following contractual requirements:
- Identify, recruit, prepare, and oversee 5-9 volunteer site coordinators
- Identify, and recruit 40+ volunteer Income Tax Preparers
- Develop efficient, effective and consistent operational procedures for all sites, per IRS regulations and in partnership with other program partners
- Assist in the development and implementation of a marketing and outreach strategy for VITA
- Complete IRS certification to the advanced level
- Work closely with the UWECI Volunteer Engagement Manager to help with volunteer recruitment, training, placement, supervision and recognition
- Ensure VITA sites have appropriate equipment, materials and set-up needed to welcome and serve filers
- Serve as back-up site coordinator for sites as needed
- Do weekly submission of prepared tax returns
- Evaluate success of the VITA program and provide plan for the next tax preparation season
The contract will run October 2014 through May 15, 2015. The Program Coordinator is an independent contractor status during the October-May time frame. An estimated number of hours per week is Thirty.
Requirements include: Gain or have experience using TaxWise to prepare taxes and managing a VITA program; project management ability; work independently and in collaboration with key stakeholders and partners; strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel; well-organized and detail-oriented; able to work well with people across various socio-economic backgrounds and teams of volunteers.
For more information about this opportunity, contact:
Manager, Community Building
319.398.5372 Ext. 825
United Way of East Central Iowa Benefits
We offer a comprehensive benefit package along with competitive pay:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Defined Contribution Plan
- Ten paid Holidays per year
- Vacation Time
- Sick Leave Time
- Personal Days
- Funeral Leave
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Free Parking
- Business Casual Attire
- Pleasant Work Environment
- Employee Appreciation Events